15.6.09

A Conversation about Father's Day

On the phone with my parents.

Me: Mom, do you know Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons?
Mom: What?
Me: Frankie Valli. And The Four Seasons. Do you remember them?
Mom: Huh? What Valley?
Me: FRANKIE VALLI MA. MUSIC GROUP. FROM THE '60S.

[My Dad in the background: "Oh! Frankie Valli! Sherry Baby!"]

Mom: Oh yah what about them.
Me: Well I thought since you'll be in New York if you'd like tickets to this Broadway show called Jersey Boys based on Frankie Valli. It could be Dad's Father's Day gift.
Mom: A concert? I don't know if we like concerts.
Me: No Mom, not a concert, a musical.
Mom: I thought you said it was Frankie Valli.
Me: It's BASED on Frankie Valli, Ma. It's a musical. Y'know, like that time you saw Cabaret?
Mom: Oh...no I don't think so. You can just get him a worklight.
[Pause]
Me: You want a light...for the shed...instead of Broadway tickets?
Mom: Yeah, just get the strongest worklight at Home Depot.
Me: A light. For work. For the shed. Not tickets?
Mom: Yes, that's what he wants. The strongest one!
Me: Is this lamp pretty?

[Both parents now both hysterically laughing at me.]

Me: Ok let me talk to you later.

Sooooo, what are y'all getting your Dad for Father's Day?
My sisters and I will be getting a worklight.
Moo

4 comments:

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Oh god, that is so funny! I swear you have my family, just on the west coast!!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

lol that's hysterical Mo! I, unfortunately am still up in the air as to what to do for my Dad. I just organized or rather proposed a BBQ at my sisters house but now I'm still trying to figure out a gift....

Mo said...

@PB: Hahaha we probably do have the same family! I just about died when my Mom asked "What Valley?"

@ TAB: My Dad loves bbqs too! That would be a sweet gesture for Father's Day.

joyce said...

Your mum is hillarious!! Sounds a lil like my parents except my folks never want anything.

I still haven't gotten Dad anything... yikes! but, our Father's Day is in Sept so phew! (you scare me there for a while!).

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Please leave one!

 

Pink Argyle All rights reserved © 2010

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley

HowJoyful Design