24.9.10

Mo+Boy Tie the Knot: Toasts and Thank Yous

The tent at night? Absolutely gorgeous. Perfect backdrop for our toasts to start off the party.


[My sister and cousin introduce us and the family members, in English and Cantonese!]

It was really important to me that people close to us did the introductions. I thought it would be much more personal, more familial, and I'm thankful that my sister and cousin did such a great job!

I originally didn't want to be introduced. At all. But it seemed like it would lend some energy, so I decided it wasn't too bad after all. And it wasn't! Completely painless and not at all cheesy like I imagined.

(If you'd like to reenact it, click play on the YouTube video while reading.)




[I loved our sweetheart table. We weren't sitting there very much, but I still loved it.]

We asked our close friends to do the toasts for us. My adorable girl pals you've seen in previous posts took the mic and wished us well. While looking at photos after the wedding, I realized that they were the few friends there who knew me before I met the boy, and it was very special to have them toast us.


Next up was the boy's buddies from high school, who get props because they gave me credit for moving to San Diego and remembered that he wrote me a poem for our one month anniversary. I didn't even remember he wrote that poem.
...I should really fish it out from my shoe boxes!

[The boy looks slightly traumatized and happy at the same time in this photo. I love it.]

[Huzzah!]

Finally, it was our turn to say thank you to our guests. Although our DJ did a great job introducing our friends and playing music everyone liked, there was one part we forgot to go over: how to pronounce my name. Whoops. My whole life my name has been mispronounced (you've probably guessed it isn't 'Mo' in reality) and it would have been nice to have it pronounced correctly at my wedding. Not the end of the world, just slightly annoying. After the one incident, the boy insisted on telling him how to say it correctly in case he had to introduce us again, which he did, for the first dance. Good save boy.

So, if you have a notoriously hard to pronounce name, make sure your DJ knows how to say it!

I'm really glad we did a thank you speech, and if you don't totally puke from public speaking, I recommend doing so. We took turns thanking people close to us, and it was a nice way to end the toasts, and for me, have some closure to the wedding planning.

Surprisingly I could have talked longer (I despise public speaking and blush at the drop of a pin,) but we were running slightly behind schedule and I wanted to get dancing. So I wrapped things up, just as our first dance song started playing.

Thanks so much for coming, we hope you have a wonderful night.


Moo

5 comments:

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Beautiful backdrop. The tent is gorgeous! Funny the DJ pronounced your name wrong...b/c that happened to my friend as well. I felt so bad...she spent hundreds on the DJ (he came with lighting) and at her own wedding, her name isn't pronounced correctly. How annoying! I love how you guys did a sweetheart table. Were you always walking around to other tables?

Mo said...

@The Professional Bridesmaid: Aw, I can sympathize with your friend! The minute the DJ said it incorrectly, one of our friends yelled out the proper way to say my name, so I knew I wasn't the only one that slightly cringed. Bah. Ah well.
We tried walking to all the tables, but it wasn't in the cards! We got pulled out to take pictures and other misc. socializing.

joyce said...

The tent looks stunning!!! I can't wait to go through all your wedding posts now. We were doing our seating charts last night and came up with the idea of having a table for just the two of us a la 27 dresses and we can hang out with our guests on their tables throughout the night and I saw that you did exactly the same thing!! Lolz... I'm liking the idea more now!! We've never seen it done before. Any tips or bad reaction from the guests??

Katie said...

We totally flaked on doing our own speech. We weren't going to have any speeches at all, and then last minute hubby decided to ask his brother (bad idea - it was the worst, lamest speech ever), and by that point I was so crazybusy that I forgot we should be doing a speech. We were running way behind schedule all day, so didn't even have time for most of what we planned anyway, much less another speech. None the less, I really regret it. We didn't even get to say "hi" to most of our guests, so a thank you speech would have a least been *something*. Oh well, just one of many wedding day regrets!

Mo said...

@blushingjoy: Do it! It was honestly our caterer's idea, because we could not decide where to sit since our entire immediate families could not fit at one table. It resolved that problem, and allowed us to move around the room without feeling like we were ditching our table.
And, no bad responses from guests that I know of.

@MayLove: Ah yes, we didn't get to say hi to a lot of people!! Don't worry, I have my regret list too *sigh*

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Please leave one!

 

Pink Argyle All rights reserved © 2010

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley

HowJoyful Design