15.8.10

Thoughts of a Pack Rat

My grandmother collects jars, y'know, just in case someone might need a lot of...jars. My uncle had a car that was not functional that sat in his garage for years. My mother has been known to sift through our garbage and take things out that we have already thrown away because she thinks we are being wasteful.

Ah yes. I come from one of those families. And it's become apparent from cleaning our apartment recently to make room for registry gifts (yay!) that the boy also comes from the school of "don't throw anything away even if you do not use it because you never know when you might need it".

Le sigh.

In purging out apartment, here are a few items we found:

+8 empty shoe boxes

+an entire trash can filled with coins. Seriously. Would I lie to you about that? I'm not even that creative to come up with that one.

+one figurine from Titan Quest
Me: What is this? (holds up figurine, with trash bag in other hand)
Him: That's Titan Quest! (grabs at figurine) Here, she can be the protector of the living room. (puts figurine on top of television)

+an entire shoe box filled with receipts from 2003

+a big pile of socks under the bed that the cat has taken over as her bed

+a photo of us on our 1-year dating anniversary in San Francisco. Awwwwwwwwww

We took quite a few bags to Salvation Army so we could welcome a few new items into our home:

[We have a new duvet cover and two new poodle lamps that give a soft glow in our bedroom.]

[We made this dresser this weekend, and it was a big pain in the butt and some of the drawers are not the best, but it looks cute! That's our cat sniffing at my camera bag.]

[We also brought these home yesterday. They have a new home in my desk drawer.]

Are you a pack rat or are you good about throwing things out/donating them?
Moo

11 comments:

little luxury list said...

Guilty. You never know when you may want something right?
My husband makes fun of me about it all the time.

I have been getting better though. My room at my parent's house has been untouched and I have slowly gathered more for donation every time I go.

BigAppleNosh said...

I totally understand where you're coming from - major pack rat here!!

Katie said...

Oh we're the same way! Both hang on to completely unnecessary things thinking we *might* need them one day. My husband is the worst. He doesn't even look at his junk before he claims how desperately he needs whatever is in it. I find a new tote full of his clothes all the time. he tells me he needs them. I say, "they are winter clothes. It is summer. You didn't even know they were here so you clearly didn't wear them in the winter either, so you don't need them." "YES I DO" he says. I tell him to sort through them, or I'm getting rid of them. He hides them in the attic. :*( I have no idea what all is in our attic, but I bet it ain't pretty.

honey my heart said...

i'm a packrat, too, and my poor dining room needs a major purge!

cute lamp :)

Discovery Street said...

i used to be a pack rat. what cured me is my propensity to move at least once a year. I shed layers and layers of stuff on each move. And of course, getting rid of practically everything before I got married pretty much was the cure all of any pack rat disease that may have been left in me! :)

Ms. Teacher said...

My parents were the OPPOSITE. They throw out anything - even things you MAY construe as sentimental. I would have to hide things so my parents did not toss them as clutter. I rebelled and am a pack rat. My fiance is way worse though. We are working through.
I should take some things to Salvation Army. Congrats to you and cute bureau!

Abbie said...

I'm trying... really, really hard... to get rid of stuff. I've been doing a great job, but now I'm to the point where I want to get rid of everything without throwing it away. There's not a happy medium.

Simply Colette said...

I used to be, now it's my therapy to throw things out and live simply. :) Cute bedspread!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

When we got back from the honeymoon I did a huge purge! Still have a ways to go though...

Unknown said...

snap, i m getting better though, i say to myself do i really needs this, then ask hubby.

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Guilty as well! The BF makes fun of me b/c I don't like to throw away boxes of new items......my argument? what if you want to return the item???!!

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Please leave one!

 

Pink Argyle All rights reserved © 2010

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley

HowJoyful Design